Spicy Beets & Carrot Curry in Coconut Milk

Post image for Spicy Beets & Carrot Curry in Coconut Milk

by Sara on February 23, 2012

My new year’s resolution about becoming a vegetarian started on a tempting & non-vegetarian note. You see I was vacationing in Dubai around new year’s eve and was enticed every single day with an abundance of irresistible foods from around the globe! Dubai has the most eclectic variety of ethnic restaurants, which I absolutely adored. People asked me so what did you buy in Dubai and I politely answered, ” nothing, I just ate.” Oh yes and I ate a whole a lot including non-vegetarian delights like lamb kabobs, chicken tikkas, shwarmas, nihari, haleem, byriani, kibbeh, the list goes on and on. So as you can see I could not resist the non-vegetarian specialties at all. But I was determined to start a vegetarian diet when I came back home.

Ravi Restaurant ~World Famous Pakistani Restaurant in Dubai

I went from meat, poutlry, & fish eater to a vegetarian. I had always struggled with the inhumane processes involved in the meat & fishing industries. I also learned about all of the health benefits of being a plant based diet, so it just seemed like the right choice for me.

Thanks to an abundance of scientific research that demonstrates the health and environmental benefits of a plant-based diet, even the federal government recommends that we consume most of our calories from grain products, vegetables and fruits. And no wonder: An estimated 70 percent of all diseases, including one-third of all cancers, are related to diet. A vegetarian diet reduces the risk for chronic degenerative diseases such as obesity, coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and certain types of cancer including colon, breast, prostate, stomach, lung and esophageal cancer. source: vegetariantimes.com

These days I have been experimenting with recipes which are vegetarian but are different from the norm, I guess I’m trying to think of exciting ways to eat veggies. I came up with this beets & carrot curry in coconut milk recipe for my love of beets. I don’t know about you but I love beets! I haven’t met a beet salad on a menu that I haven’t loved or eaten! I have eaten them raw, boiled, & roasted them. Of course beets are perfect in salads especially with arugula but I wanted to try them in a unique recipe that can be perfect for a main course dish. Coconut milk added another depth to the dish also made the curry more tasty & heavenly. Check out my Roasted Beet Salad Recipe.

Lana February 23, 2012 at 5:49 am

Borscht is the only dish I have eaten that features the beets as the main ingredient and your recipe seems to elevate this unappreciated root to its right position:) I also love beets and cannot remember the time when I did not. I had to turn my husband into a beet lover, as his only experiences were with the soggy unappealing ones from the can:(
We are not completely vegetarian, but I try to make most meals meatless (we buy the meat at our local Persian store – it is halal and I hope they adhere to the rules:)
I don’t think anyone would miss animal protein with a dish like this one! Lovely colors, Sara!
So glad I have met you:)

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen February 23, 2012 at 7:17 am

Gulf has great food. Kuwait is no less. We are spoiled with great food here from all over the world. Wish I could go on a veg diet too, may be a month?

Miriam/The Winter Guest February 23, 2012 at 8:18 am

:O I just have a couple of beets that are going to be put to good use here!! Lovely curry.

Cookin' Canuck February 23, 2012 at 1:52 pm

The colors in this curry are so vibrant and utterly irresistible. When you cut certain ingredients out of your diet (like meat), it’s a “must” to make the food you are eating even better, with different flavor and texture combinations. You seemed to have mastered that already!

Nadia February 23, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I’m glad you indulged in Dubai, I still miss the food – so delish!
Props to you for becoming a veggie – I don’t think I could, even though sometimes I want to.

Very pretty dish!

Ambika February 24, 2012 at 12:22 am

Yummy! Absolutely love this curry. My mom makes a similar curry, with only beetroots. Gorgeous clicks!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. February 24, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Looks so healthy and amazing

Winnie February 25, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Looks very beautiful and delicious…I love coconut curries and the idea of using beets is quite intriguing ;)

Megan February 26, 2012 at 2:09 am

I don’t normally comment on blog posts, but I felt compelled to point something out. You’re right that chicken, beef and pork can be terrible…when they are raised inhumanely and pumped with antibiotics. However, if you are eating organic, humanely raised animals, there is nothing that can compare, truly. The nutritional profile of an animal that has eaten grass or foraged for their meal will provide you with far more energy and nutrients than plants, and especially grains. If you want to give up commercially raised food, that’s one thing. But to lump all animal products together is really unfair, and quite inaccurate. This article might be interesting for you to read:

Sara Hafiz February 26, 2012 at 3:29 am

Megan, thank you for that article!

Kankana February 27, 2012 at 3:34 am

this looks so yum. I love the combination of carrot and beat root and that coconut milk always rocks in curry. :)

foodwanderings February 28, 2012 at 2:40 am

Love the color od the sauce Sara & the beets, I do love beets so much!! btw, thanks for the email. You are fab!

Sanjeeta KK February 28, 2012 at 4:29 am

Oh..this looks such yum, healthy and colorful curry! Need to give a try..

Jamie February 28, 2012 at 11:55 am

I’m with Lana about Borscht being the only cooked, hot dish I have eaten with beets in it. We usually eat them cold in salads but I actually do prefer them hot. This is a stunning dish and I’ll bet it is very tasty. I am not sure I’d have the self-discipline to go completely vegetarian; I did go kosher for 5 years but family pressur pulled me back to bad habits (although I try to eat well). Maybe if I tried more of your vegetarian recipes which are always so creative!

Sara Hafiz February 29, 2012 at 2:49 am

Thank you everyone for your sweet comments!

Joanna March 1, 2012 at 3:07 am

Great recipe~ I added a few more ingredients for a heartier variation: garbanzo beans and the beet greens (as I had very young small beets). So good over rice with raita. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sara Hafiz March 1, 2012 at 5:13 am

Thank you Joanna, I like your idea of adding garbanzo beans & beet greens to the recipe!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com March 4, 2012 at 5:56 am

Mmmm.. Delicious curry! I’ve never thought of using beets in a curry before :)

Jen April 5, 2012 at 3:37 am

I tried this recipe tonight, as it was included in my Eatwell Farms CSA box. Just wanted to let you know that it was super tasty! The only “problem” was that there wasn’t enough — I’ll have to make double next time. :) Thanks for sharing.

Sara Hafiz April 5, 2012 at 3:48 am

Jen, I’m so glad the recipe worked good for you! Thank you so much for your feedback! :)

Rosa April 5, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Wow, that is an awesome curry! I am so in love with beets and those flavors are just heavenly. Lovely colors too.

Anne November 1, 2012 at 2:04 am

Chopped peanuts on top is a great finish!