Patatas Bravas ~ A Spanish Tapa

Post image for Patatas Bravas ~ A Spanish Tapa

by Sara Hafiz on February 21, 2011

I would like to thank one of my dearest friends Laviza for this wonderful guest post! Her recipe for Patatas Bravas is fabulous! Please check out her facebook like Page, Eclectic Gourmet for more mouthwatering recipes!

So, my son comes home from school and announces that he needs me to make a Spanish dish to feed 30 kids for Spanish class the next day. Ok….well, thanks for the advance notice! Meanwhile, I am a bit stressed, in the midst of cooking for my catering orders and preparing dinner for our family. I ask him if we can pick up something from the store (like all the other kids!).  My son has already told the teacher that “my mom is a great cook”. He says he will get extra points for bringing in a homemade dish. He is begging. The pressure is on….

A cursory Google search for “easy Spanish recipes” is just too overwhelming.

A stat consult with OneTribeGourmet is in order! She texts me back within a few minutes  - “patatas bravas, kids will all love it!”  Ok, cool. Yet another Google search, and I discover that it is commonly served as a tapa in bars; sort of like a Spanish version of french fries. There are numerous recipes for patatas bravas with various methods for preparing the dish.

I get the idea of how to make the patatas, and based on the ingredients I had on hand and with my own touch, this is what I came up with. Most of the recipes do not call for the potatoes to be seasoned before they are sauteed, but I like “flava”, so I seasoned them. I was pleasantly surprised at the way the Patatas bravas came out. I definitely prefer the pan sauteed version over the baked version.  The patatas must be served and eaten immediately.  They did get a little limp and soggy the next day, but I was not about to fry potatoes at 6 am for my son to get a few extra points!

Thank you again, OneTribeGourmet, for a great suggestion!

Mariah February 21, 2011 at 5:35 am

Yes, Patatas Bravas make a great Tapas!

Kristen Baker February 21, 2011 at 5:37 am

I have been to Spain many times and I always enjoy patatas bravas… your sauce sounds delicious!

Nisrine, Dinners & Dreams February 21, 2011 at 1:03 pm

A mouthwatering tapa. I like the dipping sauce especially.

Eliana February 21, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Love the flavors in these potatoes. They look super super delicious.

Nadia February 21, 2011 at 4:58 pm

cute post, Laviza! I like your writing style-humorous!
Who doesn’t love potatoes..mmmm!

Ameena February 21, 2011 at 5:08 pm

As a mom who gets last minute food requests I totally understand this post! I love this recipe – potatoes are one of my most favorite foods.

Gorgeous photos!

Joy February 21, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Wow this looks so delicious, great post Laviza!!!

eclectic gourmet February 21, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Thank you for your kind words for my lame attempt at a blog post!
I give you gals (and guys) a lot of credit for your foodie blogs with terrific pix and posts; I am in awe of all of you, especially my dear friend Sara!
I take the easy way out, by posting on my facebook page, but one of these days, I will start a blog.

Luckily I will have the chance to try the real “patatas bravas” in Barcelona, this summer!

Soma February 21, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Of course mom is a good cook!! How wonderful he recognizes that and is proud of it Sara. The joys of being a mom.

The sauce is sounds out of the world. and yes i always like my potatoes pan fried than baked. It is faster and crisps much better as you have said.

Lani February 23, 2011 at 5:33 am

This recipe sounds delicious! I love anything that has to do with potato and so do my kids so I will definitely try this. Laviza, this was an awesome guest post, I enjoyed reading about your son and his last minute request. Kudos to you for making something homemade. I can only dream that I’d not just run to my local grocery!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 23, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Cooking for 40 kids at the last minute, wow I’m impressed! I would take these over french fries any day.

Amanda February 23, 2011 at 3:05 pm

My absolute favorite tapas!! I adore these!

Sara February 23, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Thank you everyone! Laviza did an awesome job with this post! credit goes to her! :)

marla {family fresh cooking} February 24, 2011 at 2:48 am

Sara, you are an awesome friend to recommend this recipe to Laviza. They sound delicious! Her son is so lucky that she sent these tapas to class. Sometimes it is hard as the “cooking moms” when the kids have class presentations. We can’t get away with just picking something up at the store. xo

Kankana February 24, 2011 at 4:39 am

First time in your blog .. am a new blogger, my second month in the blogging world :) I love this dish and have checked few other recipes and i love them .. beautiful space you have here !

Lora @cakeduchess February 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Hi Laviza-This looks delicious! You and Sara are both so creative. Nice to find you here on sweet Sara’s blog.
Hope you both have a wonderful weekend!

Rosa February 26, 2011 at 1:08 am

Those look addictive! A great treat.

Faith February 27, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Great guest post, Laviza! (And Sara, thank you so much for introducing us such a talented cook!) This looks like a really flavorful and delicious dish!

tasteofbeirut February 28, 2011 at 4:17 am

This is the sauce i had been looking for, aka, basque ketchup! Love these potatoes!

Melody Fury // GourmetFury.com February 28, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I could NOT get enough of these when I was in Barcelona. Dear me :) These look fantastic. Definitely saving the recipe. Thanks so much for sharing!

Jamie March 2, 2011 at 11:31 am

LOL funny story! And delicious potatoes! Yum! I’d love this and hope the kids did too!