Post image for Refreshing Moroccan style Almond Milk infused w/Orange Blossom Water & Cinnamon accompanied by Date & Pistachio Truffles~

by Sara Hafiz on August 26, 2010

As I’m writing this post my kitchen is filled with the  sweet aroma of orange blossom water, which reminds me of Fes, Morocco! You see I was fortunate enough to visit this Mystical &  Ancient city this past June. Fes is the oldest of Morocco’s Imperial cities. It’s also the spiritual & religious capital which has been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Fes is an amazing city founded in the 9th century and home to the oldest university in the world. Fes has retained its status as the country’s cultural and spiritual center. Same can be said about the richly flavored cuisine of Morocco. A mixture of Berber, Arabic and Andalusian traditions. In the upcoming weeks I will be posting many Moroccan recipes which I had the opportunity to learn at a wonderful place called Cafe Clock. More about Cafe Clock in my  next post!

Orange Blossom Water is made by using orange tree blossoms and a steam distillation process, which results in fragrant water that has found its way into many culinary uses in Moroccan cuisine. Especially in the desserts & drinks. I made a refreshing Almond Milk drink infused with the fresh flavor & aroma of orange blossom water & the spiciness of cinnamon. Almond milk is a classic North African and Middle Eastern drink. Served chilled on a hot day, it is both nourishing & refreshing. Traditionally, the “milk” is extracted from the almonds but modern recipes often add cow’s milk. Especially in Morocco, orange blossom water or fresh orange rind are added to the drink to give it a floral flavor. On special occasions, rose petals are floated on the surface of each glass.

The Nomadic Berbers rely heavily on dates as a main source of food and many traditional dishes including these truffles. Traditionally these date and pistachio truffles are offered to guests  with a glass of mint tea as a warm welcome gesture of hospitality.

Sue August 26, 2010 at 9:21 pm

You make such beautiful dishes! I agree, I love the aroma of orange blossom water.The truffles are so pretty.

Sue August 26, 2010 at 9:22 pm

You make such beautiful dishes! I agree. I love the aroma of orange blossom water. The truffles look so pretty.

Sara August 26, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Thank you Sue, you are a sweetheart my friend! :)

sherry stockwell August 27, 2010 at 11:13 pm

I love this post! looks so romantic and must taste delicious. Looking forward to more tales of Morocco.

Sara August 28, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Thank you Sherry!!

Faith August 29, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I can imagine too well the gorgeous aroma that filled your kitchen while making this! The truffles and the milk sound like a lovely pair.

Nadia August 30, 2010 at 3:12 pm

simply divine! it’s so impressive that you made almond milk at home! i always buy it. I love the addition of orange blossom water.

and the truffles are beautiful!

Sara August 30, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Thank you Nadia! Almond milk was super easy to make at home!

Soma September 1, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I LOVE orange blossom water. It makes my home smell like a fresh evening garden breeze. Absolutely love those truffles and the pictures. Thanks for the virtual tour in your recent post.

Sara September 4, 2010 at 2:52 am

Thank you so much Soma! :)

lara dunston September 4, 2010 at 2:54 am

Oh yum! You’re making me miss the Middle East!

Love this! You might be interested in our September Grantourismo Travel/Food Blogging Competition, as this month our theme is a food-focused blog post… we’ve got loads of great prizes, including a stay in a holiday rental anywhere in the world, plus an Olympus camera, tours, AFAR magazine subscription.

For this month’s contest entrants are required to create a blog post (on their site) on a quintessential dish of a place. More details here: http://grantourismotravels.com/2010/09/03/grantourismo-travel-blogging-competition-september/ but just email me or visit our site if you have questions. :)

lindentea September 4, 2010 at 11:19 am

I was just reading a recipe for almond milk last night and I see your post this morning, I would love to try it. Great photos, thank you for sharing.

Kulsum@JourneyKitchen September 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm

I can’t believe I have not tried Almond milk so far! I have read it in a few places but I’m sure making it now. Besides I’m always finding reason to use orange blossom. I love that stuff!